Definitions Related to Practice Gaps
- Gaps / Practice gap: The difference between a current state and desired state. Gaps are typically expressed in terms of normative data.
- Gap analysis (GA): The methods used to collect a Gap and an interpretation of the information.
- Needs: 1) contributing factors to the formation of a Gap. 2) The knowledge or skills that must be remedied to help close a practice gap.
- Target Audience: The intended recipients of an educational activity.
- Wants: Possible solutions proposed to close a gap by targeting a need.
Tips and Tools for Developing Practice Gaps
- Link the subject to the environment where a learner will encounter the gap
- Avoid generalities
- Quantify the information being presented
- Provide backup for claims and statements